PO Box 1169
Royal Oak MI
Click address above for directions
Business and Help Line
Who we are
- We are several types of people!
- We are a group of parents that believe in our kids. When our children came to us and told us they were Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender, we became confused and disillusioned between what we were led to believe and the reality of it all. "That's not my kid!" could be heard across city borders. We knew in our hearts that our children were not what we were taught. A group of parents got together, to tell the stories of their children and found loving support and education. Then the search went out to find other parents in similar situations. PFLAG Detroit was formed.
- We are an extended family of the GLBT community.
- We are GLBT individuals or family members looking for support.
- We are allies who wish to show support for the GLBT community.
Since 1987, PFLAG Detroit offers various programs to support GLBT people and their families. We have been keeping families together for over 30 years, we have striven to combat hate, discrimination and violence. Our goal is to have equal rights for all our children. Our group sessions give us a chance to hear and understand the true feelings of parents, GLBT people and their allies. Through education and sharing, we are helping people understand issues that have caused discord and misunderstanding, sometimes tearing families apart.
Parents new to PFLAG find a positive reassurance about their children’s lives. They have been able to talk to their children like never before.
In a confidential setting, New Parents meet with a Mom and Dad of a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender child to share their feelings on how they handled the coming out of their child.
Our other support groups give Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender persons a chance to share and support one another. Relatives, friends, and allies become more understanding and compassionate by listening to stories in the groups.
We welcome all those who feel they want to share with others in our monthly meetings. We make every effort to keep families together by Education, Support and Advocacy.
- Do you wish to give support as an GLBT person?
- Do you want some support for yourself as a parent of an GLBT individual?
- Do you want support as an GLBT person?
- Do you want to better understand and give support as an ally?
PFLAG Detroit meets every second Sunday of the month. (with the exception of Mother's Day, Easter, PRIDE in June, and Christmas) Visit our website for monthly updates.
We are proud to say "We have not missed a meeting in over 3o years!"
COME! LISTEN! LEARN! SHARE!